Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 98

Thread: Jane Fonda

  1. #61
    Inactive Member PVVikeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,188
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Jane Fonda

    I lnow how you feel LPD. I lost friends there and had others come back but were never the same. Either physically or mentally.
    But no matter what Hanoi Jane did there are people who will still pay to see her movies. There are still people who will still buy her books. If she had to count on the money she made from me she would starve. And I would smile.
    _________________________________________________________
    HOW'S THAT HOPE AND CHANGE WORKING OUT FOR YA ??????

  2. #62
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Jane Fonda

    Well hell I just love days like this, I just pulled an abcessed tooth. First, if you dig deep enough, you'll find that the Nam and Korea are now declared wars. VA benefits were the reason this took place, best I can recall. Tree-son, aiding the enemy, whoever it may be. Hanoi Jane toured the North and made public comments about the planes bombing civillian targets and dikes that were the system of transportation for the VC as well as the rice paddies that fed them. Well don't take my word for it here is a copy of her radio statement-
    Hanoi-Vietnam :: 7 APR 95, 1911 hours:

    The following public domain information is a transcript from the US Congress House Committee on Internal Security, Travel to Hostile Areas, HR 16742, 19-25 September, 1972, page 7671.

    [Radio Hanoi attributes talk on DRV visit to Jane Fonda; from Hanoi in English to American servicemen involved in the Indochina War, 1 PM GMT, 22 August 1972

    Text: Here's Jane Fonda telling her impressions at the end of her visit to the Democratic Republic of Vietnam;
    (follows recorded female voice with American accent

    This is Jane Fonda. During my two week visit in the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, I've had the opportunity to visit a great many places and speak to a large number of people from all walks of life--workers, peasants, students, artists and dancers, historians, journalists, film actresses, soldiers, militia girls, members of the women's union, writers.
    I visited the (Dam Xuac) agricultural coop, where the silk worms are also raised and thread is made. I visited a textile factory, a kindergarten in Hanoi. The beautiful Temple of Literature was where I saw traditional dances and heard songs of resistance. I also saw unforgettable ballet about the guerrillas training bees in the south to attack enemy soldiers. The bees were danced by women, and they did their job well.

    In the shadow of the Temple of Literature I saw Vietnamese actors and actresses perform the second act of Arthur Miller's play All My Sons, and this was very moving to me--the fact that artists here are translating and performing American plays while US imperialists are bombing their country.

    I cherish the memory of the blushing militia girls on the roof of their factory, encouraging one of their sisters as she sang a song praising the blue sky of Vietnam--these women, who are so gentle and poetic, whose voices are so beautiful, but who, when American planes are bombing their city, become such good fighters.

    I cherish the way a farmer evacuated from Hanoi, without hesitation, offered me, an American, their best individual bomb shelter while US bombs fell near by. The daughter and I, in fact, shared the shelter wrapped in each others arms, cheek against cheek. It was on the road back from Nam Dinh, where I had witnessed the systematic destruction of civilian targets-schools, hospitals, pagodas, the factories, houses, and the dike system.

    As I left the United States two weeks ago, Nixon was again telling the American people that he was winding down the war, but in the rubble-strewn streets of Nam Dinh, his words echoed with sinister (words indistinct) of a true killer. And like the young Vietnamese woman I held in my arms clinging to me tightly--and I pressed my cheek against hers--I thought, this is a war against Vietnam perhaps, but the tragedy is America's.

    One thing that I have learned beyond a shadow of a doubt since I've been in this country is that Nixon will never be able to break the spirit of these people; he'll never be able to turn Vietnam, north and south, into a neo-colony of the United States by bombing, by invading, by attacking in any way. One has only to go into the countryside and listen to the peasants describe the lives they led before the revolution to understand why every bomb that is dropped only strengthens their determination to resist.

    I've spoken to many peasants who talked about the days when their parents had to sell themselves to landlords as virtually slaves, when there were very few schools and much illiteracy, inadequate medical care, when they were not masters of their own lives.

    But now, despite the bombs, despite the crimes being created--being committed against them by Richard Nixon, these people own their own land, build their own schools--the children learning, literacy--illiteracy is being wiped out, there is no more prostitution as there was during the time when this was a French colony. In other words, the people have taken power into their own hands, and they are controlling their own lives.

    And after 4,000 years of struggling against nature and foreign invaders--and the last 25 years, prior to the revolution, of struggling against French colonialism--I don't think that the people of Vietnam are about to compromise in any way, shape or form about the freedom and independence of their country, and I think Richard Nixon would do well to read Vietnamese history, particularly their poetry, and particularly the poetry written by Ho Chi Minh.


    [recording ends]
    and the source- Especen; Hanoi-Vietnam :: 7 APR 95, 1911 hours:

    The following public domain information is a transcript from the US Congress House Committee on Internal Security, Travel to Hostile Areas, HR 16742, 19-25 September, 1972, page 7671.

    [Radio Hanoi attributes talk on DRV visit to Jane Fonda; from Hanoi in English to American servicemen involved in the Indochina War, 1 PM GMT, 22 August 1972

    If you know ANYTHING about the torture the POWs were subjected to, to make statements, one pilot reading a printed statment, SPELLED TORTURE in Morse code by BATTING his eyes, as he read. Edward Alverez gives a PG or R rated account in his book Chained Eagle ,it's in the local library system. These guys were hauled off to China and the USSR depending on their specialty and what info they might be able to remove from them. NOBODY can stand it forever, the leaders (ranking officers in the pow camps ,the airmen were the one they wanted the most info from), after several deaths , got together and kinda said, " Resist as long as you can, but don't kill youself. " Some pushed theirselves to death anyway, but in reality, it is kinda like me driving my car, I can make it travel , but you will need someone from the factory to help you understand it. They devised a "tap code" to communicate using raps on a hard surface for letters , because talking wasn't allowed often . Fonda didn't come out and say , "I'm against this war and we should stop" she went to this country and kissed up and made world wide statements, and you gotta remember she had just made Barbarella - quite a film for the day. Yeah ,I think that is a bit different from my saying, "That idiot Bush is gonna bog us down in Iraq" , I didn't even leave Wise County. And I was right, he has managed to drive the price of gas up, he still ignores the Mexican border- consider the people in this country that are illegal. If you just count them and get the SS and taxes from what they should be , it would help the whole country, but if that happened they might vote. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Think about number that get emergency care at a hospital, and you can't be refused at certain hospitals, and never pay a penny. Do you ever wonder who foots the bill? But, what do I know, I,m a Dawg? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Oh yeah , you will note it says "Travel to hostile areas " and is being looked at by Congress- the same group that never can make up their mind till it is too late. If we had bombed the docks and Ho Chi Min Trail from the beginning it would have lasted about as long as a good ballgame. Too slow to react, and too afraid of China and USSR. Plans were drawn to use tatical nukes at Khe Sahn, 2 divisions of North Regulars were in the area and the low hills that made the place so hard to resupply would have protected our troops long enough to get them out. BOOM and its over.

  3. #63
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Jane Fonda

    We accomplished our goal in Korea, isnt taht success Mr. Teacher??

    North invaded South, we sent troops to remove the North from the South, and that was accomplished.

    I am pretty sure that is success where I came from.

    And you guys are WRONG.

    A declaration of war by the United States refers to the statement of purpose traditionally requested by the President of the United States and granted by Congress to engage military force against another nation. Since World War II, the decision-making power of Congress to declare war has been unofficially downgraded to issuing authorizations of force. (See below.)

    The United States has formally declared war against foreign nations eleven separate times. Each time the declaration was requested by the president either in writing or in person before a joint session of Congress, the last being WWII.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declara..._United_States

    There it is, big boys.

    We have NOT declared war since WWII, we have sent forces to places around the globe, so there ya go.

    LPD, do you feel bad that a 17 year old kid is showing you up??
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

  4. #64
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Jane Fonda

    Perhaps official war wasn't declared, but extended military engagements post-WWII have been informally considered war by the US Government (Vietnam and the Persian Gulf War, for instance).

    Even the US Government itself has officially given a certain name to an ailment suffered by many who served in the Middle East back in the early 90s: Gulf War Syndrome.

    Individuals captured during the Persian Gulf War are declared Prisoners of War
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  5. #65
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Jane Fonda

    It really touches me that you are focusing so much on educating youreslf about something that has affected me so deeply. Words cannot express what that means to me.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  6. #66
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Jane Fonda

    Simply put - if it affects you, it affects me.
    Equal.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  7. #67
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Jane Fonda

    So, are you saying that since war wasn't declared, that veterans of the Persian Gulf and now with the troops in Iraq, that we are not as important as the ones in WWII?

  8. #68
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Jane Fonda

    superman where are you now?
    When everythings gone wrong somehow.

    I dont agree with war period. In any stance, beyond the 2 great world wars. I do respect those who do go to war and those who die, who give me the right to say how I feel. I am glad we have this ability to talk and discuss this, I appreciate the insight from others who know more then myself and have attained the knowledge differently then I have. I just wanna thank you people, some dont care enough to discuss these matters, to me it shows the lack of understanding or care for what they take for granted.

    thanks guys.

  9. #69
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Jane Fonda

    Not sure I'm following what you're saying....(blonde moment on my part??)

    I was pointing out that the Persian Gulf vets role in conflict/war shouldn't be downplayed simply because 'official' war wasn't declared. So many people say "oh it was just a conflict, not a war" and some go so far to say these vets aren't even "Veterans" and I find it to be a real shame.

    My brother-in-law served in Desert Shield and Desert Storm, and has been officially diagnosed with Gulf War Syndrome. I have an enormous amount of respect for him and what he gave. He's still a young man, and will suffer a long time because of the war.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  10. #70
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Jane Fonda

    WRONG!! Most all war veterans do not like to talk about the wars they were in, especially the ones involved in Vietnam and the Persian Gulf.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •